As a working mom, we only have 2 days to spend all time. Technically 1.5 days as I need to work half day in Saturday. And, those two days are the best day for cooking for family. This is an easy recommended recipe to cook for whole family, my case is for two adult, a kid and a baby.
This is called Sukiyaki (Japanese food). But you can adjust the spices depends on you appetite. For me, more salt and pepper.
Sukiyaki is a popular one-pot meal which is usually cooked at the table as you eat. The word "yaki" means "sautee" or "grill" in Japanese. The word is used because meat is sauteed in the hot skillet. The main ingredient in sukiyaki is usually beef. You might want to ask a butcher to slice the tender part of the beef into very thin slices. Ingredients are simmered in a skillet or pan in sukiyaki sauce. It's common to eat sukiyaki with others from the same pan. In different regions of Japan, sukiyaki is cooked differently.
Here, I want to just make it such as a soup without a hot plate.
Yield: 4 servings
* 1 lb thinly sliced beef, cut into bite-size pieces. If you don't eat beef, you can change to egg. For me, I will use both ;)
* 1 package shirataki noodles (made from yam cakes) or cellophane noodles, washed and drained, cut into 3 inch lengths. You can use normal noodles/bihoon
* 8 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed. You can buy it in canned
* 1 enoki mushroom, trimmed. You can get it from Hypermart or other depstore
* 1 leek, washed and sliced into 2 inch lengths
* 1/2 Chinese cabbage, washed and cut into 2 inch wide pieces (white or purple cabbage is ok)
* 1 yaki-dofu (grilled tofu), cut into bite-size pieces
* 1 shungiku (chrysanthemum greens), washed and cut into 2 inch lengths *if available
* For sukiyaki sauce:
* 1/3 cup soy sauce / 3 Tbsp sake / 5 Tbsp sugar / 3/4 cup water (or at sufficiently)
* For dipping: 4 pasteurized eggs *optional
Arrange ingredients on a large plate and place the plate on the stove. Mix soy sauce, sake (you can leave it or change it to broth), sugar, and water to make sukiyaki sauce.
Arrange another pan and put 200ml hot water. Fry some beef slices, then pour sukiyaki sauce in the pan. Add other ingredients when the sauce starts to boil. Simmer until all ingredients are softened.
Put on the large bowl. It's ready to eat using another smaller bowl for 4 pax. Dip the cooked sukiyaki into the raw, beaten eggs if you would like. As the liquid is reduced, add more sukiyaki sauce or hot water.
1. You can add another vegetables such as bean sprouts or Caisin.
2. You can arrange chili to serve, cut chili 0.5cm put on a small cup and sour some salty ketchup. It would be more delicious (if you're the one who loves chili as me).
3. Serve immediately when it's still hot.
4. Happy Cooking
adapted from about.com